Twitter LogoInstagram LogoFacebook LogoPinterest Logo

Monday 12 January 2015

birthday cake

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've had a very busy weekend baking, and I want to share my masterpiece with you all. My friends little boy turned 1 on Saturday and had his birthday party on Sunday. She didn't want to spend endless amounts of money on an extravagant birthday party that he won't remember! One part of a birthday party that is a complete essential is the cake ... that said some people spend 100s of pounds on their child's birthday cake, and your child is never really going to remember it. His favourite tv programme is dinopaws (I'd never heard of it) and they wanted to have a dinopaws cake for his party but without spending much. So I offered to do it! I've done a few cakes before with my sister, including an amazing Winnie the Pooh cake - purely just for friends and family, I couldn't do it as a full time career. I wanted him to have a really cool cake for his 1st birthday without spending loads, so that's what I did. I bought some different colours of fondant icing and a number 1 candle for really cheap and already had a cake board to use. I then made a chocolate sponge with chocolate buttercream and jam (any kids favourite). I wanted to make something a bit more exciting than your standard supermarket cake, so went for two tiers. I covered them both in green fondant icing, and made some flowers, mushrooms and other little bits seen in the programme to put on top. I then modelled the three main characters out of icing to put on top. I made a batch of brownies and crumbled it up to give a rubble effect and finally iced his name on the board - it's fair to say I was pretty pleased with the outcome. I'm by no means a professional cake decorator, but I'm quite impressed with what I managed to produce - and I have to say, that was one happy little boy!! 


grace xox

No comments :

Post a Comment